Note they're saying that their manufacturer (NOT the supplier Wilbur-Ellis) just notified them today. According to www.thepetfoodlist.com, their manufacturer for dry food is Chenango Valley Foods in New York.
Added 6:30pm Chenango Valley Pet Food also made the SmartPak food recalled yesterday. I'm wondering - any other foods made by them going to be recalled? It'd be nice to know NOW. Not tomorrow. Not over the weekend. NOW.
Precautionary Rice Protein Recall: Drs. Foster & Smith Adult Dry Lite Dog and Adult Dry Lite Cat Food
Rice protein concentrate has been indicated as a possible source of melamine recently found in pet food products. As a precautionary measure Wilbur-Ellis company, the supplier of rice protein concentrate, is voluntarily recalling all lots of rice protein concentrate. We received notification from the manufacturer today, April 25, 2007, suggesting we issue a precautionary recall.
Two of our products: Adult Lite Dry Dog (Item #'s 14178, 14179, 14180, 14262, 14263) and Adult Lite Dry Cat foods (Item #'s 12855, 12856, 13864, 13865) contain rice protein concentrate. Only the Adult Lite Dry Dog and Adult Lite Dry Cat foods contain rice protein concentrate.
Preliminary test results for melamine contamination have been negative. Final test results from the FDA are expected within two weeks. Please check the Adult Lite Dry Dog food or the Adult Lite Dry Cat food product pages on the DrsFosterSmith.com website for any updates.
If your pet has consumed either the Adult Lite Dry Dog food or the Adult Lite Dry Cat food and shows signs of illness (such as loss of appetite, lethargy and vomiting), you should consult with your veterinarian immediately.
As part of this precautionary recall Drs. Foster & Smith requests that customers discontinue feeding the following products purchased during the periods listed, until all FDA testing is complete:
The health and well being of your pet is always important to us, so as part of this precautionary recall:
- Adult Lite Dry Dog food item numbers 14180, 14262, 14263, or Adult Lite Dry Cat food item numbers 12855, 12856, 13864, 13865 purchased between January 22, 2007 and April 19th
- Adult Lite Dry Dog food item numbers 14178 and 14179 purchased between February 2, 2007 and April 19, 2007
- Only Adult Lite Dry Dog (Item #'s 14178, 14179, 14180, 14262, 14263) and Adult Dry Lite Cat foods (Item #'s 12855, 12856, 13864, 13865) are included in this precautionary recall.
- Drs. Foster & Smith is contacting all customers who have purchased these items during this period.
- These products are being reformulated to eliminate rice protein concentrate. The new formulation should be available by mid-May.
- Please call Customer Service at 1-800-239-7121 between 9:00 am and 7:00 pm CST or email CustomerService@DrsFosterSmith.com if you have questions.
- None of our other Drs. Foster & Smith foods contain the ingredients in question.