After some digging, Therese (over at www.thepetfoodlist.com) and I discovered that Harmony Farms is made by American Nutrition, who confirmed that some Harmony Farms products are being recalled, and that more information will be available later today. (We also discovered they're a subsidiary of Blue Buffalo)
Harmony Farms now has a recall announcement on their website (it's a popup so you may need to disable your popup blocker) http://harmonypetproducts.com/index.html
April 26, 2007
Harmony Farms Cans And Biscuits Recalled Due To Product Tampering
We regret to inform you that Sierra Pet Products has announced a voluntary recall of its Harmony Farms canned foods and dog biscuits due to product tampering.
Sierra Pet Products was made aware of the product tampering when American Nutrition, Inc. (ANI), the manufacturer of all Harmony Farms cans and biscuits, informed the Company that they had been adding rice protein concentrate to Harmony Farms canned dog and cat foods without the Company’s approval.
It appears that ANI had been adding the unauthorized rice protein concentrate to Harmony Farms products for some time and only told the Company when the FDA was about to conclude that some of ANI’s rice protein concentrate (Supplied by Wilber-Ellis) was contaminated with Melamine.
Important Facts about the recall:
• Sierra Pet Products has elected to cease doing business with ANI effective immediately and remove all its cans and biscuits from retailer’s shelves.
• Products recalled include all Harmony Farms canned dog and cat foods, and all Harmony Farms Health Bar biscuits.
• No Harmony Farms product has tested positive for melamine.
• There have been no reported illness of any dog or cat as a result of consuming either our food or biscuits
• All Harmony Farms dry dog and cat foods are safe for consumption
• Consumers who have unused or partially used packages of any Harmony Farms recalled products should return them to their place of purchase for a complete refund.
We have informed our retail partners and the FDA about this action, and will be cooperating with them to complete this recall quickly.
As a relatively new brand, Harmony Farms is in the process of building trust with pet parents and this cannot be accomplished if we are unable to trust our manufacturer.
We intend to re-introduce our canned products and dog biscuits as soon as we can obtain a manufacturing partner who shares our values of honesty and integrity.
Sierra Pet Products
(Note: The American Nutrition website is not updated, and these companies are trashing them, but I still want to give kudos to the folks answering the phones there for being concerned - and nice - and for sharing as much information as they have.)