Saturday, June 2, 2007

Acetaminophen Allegedly found in private test results of 3 unrecalled pet foods, by 2 different labs, sent in by 3 people

See these new post - this is no longer unconfirmed:

Texas lab finds pain medicine in pet food - Manufactuer Told - FDA Investigating

The highest level of acetaminophen was found in a dog food sample submitted by a manufacturer, she said. Coneley declined to identify the company but said its officials were given the results "well over a month ago."
also see: Acetaminophen Update - in at least 6 foods


(post modified slightly 6-4 10:30pm)

Why am I saying allegedly and unconfirmed? Because I am posting links to what others have already posted online. Because I haven't seen the original lab results (though all 3 are now posted online). And because two of samples did not come from unopened food with the necessary 'chain of custody' forms. And, the companies haven't confirmed them.

I cannot stress this point enough: These are independent tests performed on small samples of each food. We do not know if this is an isolated case of contamination before or after manufacturing, or if it is widespread.

So, with all these caveats, why am I posting these? Because, after a lot of soul searching, it felt like the right thing to do, for the following reasons:
  • First, they have been posted on other sites, so the information is already out there, I'm simply drawing your attention to it.
  • Second, so you know that 3 different pet foods have tested positive for something that shouldn't be in them, in this case acetominophen. Acetominophen is poisonous to pets. 2 of the samples also tested positive for cyanuric acid.
  • Third, because - IF this is true and widespread- this may be (part of) the answer to why pets continue to get sick from foods that have tested negative for melamine, as melamine was NOT found in any of these foods.
  • Fourth, because if I received a positive result from a food I had privately tested, I'd want someone to post it so others would become aware of it.
  • Fifth, so I can sleep at night.
  • Sixth, and the most important reason - because it might save a pets life.
Again, these are reports that other people have posted online, on other sites. I am providing links to them so you can check them out for yourself. If additional reports become available, I will post them here.


First, from Don, who has a new website www.petfoodrecallfacts.com, he will be posting additional lab results as they become available. (Note that Pet Pride has had some food recalled by Menu Foods, but these flavors/varieties have NOT been recalled.) The following report is at http://www.petfoodrecallfacts.com/lab.html
Added 6-4 11:45pm: Note that Don's samples were submitted as factory sealed cans, and received by the lab in untampered condition.

LAB REPORT ON ACETAMIONPHEN AND CYANURIC ACID

Test results conducted by ExperTox, a fully accredited lab, confirmed the presence of acetamionphen and cyanuric acid in a mixture of Pet Pride "Turkey and Giblets Dinner" lot number APR 24 09, and Pet Pride "Mixed Grill" lot number SEP07 09.

Additional tests have been requested to determine which variety, or if both, are adulterated with the substances. It is significant that melamine was not detected in the samples, as melamine is the marker for the Chinese grain products.

...(see link for the rest)


Second, from Steve M:
http://www.itchmo.com/read/voluntary-dry-food-reports_20070328#comment-20770
Reposted in full with permission
  1. Steve M. Says:

    The first week of April both of my cats became ill. We had recently opened a new bag of Hills Science Diet Sensitive Stomach, the same brand the cats had been eating for sometime. After a couple days of watching our cats conditions (vomiting, lethargy, apparent weight loss, etc.) worsen we made the trip to the Vet. After observation and blood and urine tests it was determined that both cats were in Acute Renal Failure. My male cat was in such poor condition at that point that the Vet recommended euthanizing him, which we ultimately did. My female cat was fairing a little better even though her diagnosis also found she was anemic as well. We started on a long regimen of IV’s and medications that continue to this day. She has recently shown signs of improvement but it has been costly both in a monetary and emotional sense.

    Already being familiar with the pet food recall in the news I asked my Vet to order a Histopathology on my deceased cats internal organs so as to try and determine if he was poisoned. I also immediately contacted the FDA, which after me leaving numerous messages finally contacted me 10 days after my initial call. I also spoke with Hill’s, and to be honest I felt like they were really not very interested in my story. Hill’s ended up sending an application for me to request reimbursement for my Vet bills, even though my cats food was not and still to this day is not on the recall list. My deceased cats histopathology results came back and they did indicate poisoning. There was a crystalline feature in the kidneys that was indicative of this. At this point I contacted the FDA and Hill’s again to report the results. I asked Hill’s if they would like me to send them some of the cat food to test. To my amazement they declined and reitterated that I could ask for reimbursement for my Vet expenses. At this point I decided if I was going to find out what killed my cat I would have to do it myself. This I could not believe, because by this point in time we were about 6 weeks into this pet food crisis. I guess the experts already had everything figured out!

    I sent a sample of the Hill’s Science Diet Sensitive Stomach formula food, from the bag my cats had been eating from when they became ill, to Accutrace in Arlington, Texas. For $144 they agreed to test for the suspected pet food toxins (Melamine, Cyanuric Acid, Aminopterin, etc.) as well as other common toxins to pets. I received a call from the Lab today with the results of their analysis. To my surprise they did not find any of the suspected pet food toxins. But they did find something that is very toxic to cats in the food, Acetaminophen. If you are not familiar, acetaminophen is a pain reliever, marketed under the most common name as Tylenol. A little research will tell you that it doesn’t take much of this stuff to poison a cat.

    This is not a case of my cats got into a tylenol capsule that was dropped on the floor or someone came into my house and spiked my open bag of cat food. This is a case of a known toxin to cats coming packaged in a bag of cat food from the store.

    This is my story to date. I just wanted to share with others because I truly believe there is more to this story than is being told. Don’t trust the FDA or the pet food manufacturer’s, they are just looking for a quick and convenient way to put this story to rest IMO. I will post again after more of my personal story unfolds. Best to all!

Followup from Steve M.:
  1. Kim,

    I spoke with ... today. I haved e-mailed him the Toxicology Report I received from Accutrace indicating Acetaminophen is present in the sample.

    Feel free to post my story on your blog. I would not be posting this information if there was any doubt in my mind that this toxin came from anywhere other than the bag of food I purchased. I can think of no way this food could have been contaminated after I opened it. This leaves me with the conclusion that the acetaminophen was in the factory sealed bag when I purchased it on March 15, 2007. This being the case I feel it is important to get the information out to others.

    I spoke with Hills today concerning the test results and needless to say they are at a loss to explain this situation. I encourage anyone who feeds or has fed their pet any Hills Science Diet dry pet food with an unexplained illness to have their food tested for not only the toxins that have been in the news (i.e. Melamine, Cyanuric Acid, etc.) but also for unknown chemicals and toxins.

ADDED 6-3 11:47am
Don has Steve's lab results posted

Don's added another positive lab result to his site
ACETAMINOPHEN AND CYANURIC ACID TEST POSITIVE IN REPORT SUBMITTED BY SHARON

This sample is believed to have come from a bag of Hill's Science Diet Light Adult. The test results show both acetaminophen and cyanuric acid was found in the food.

Note that this makes the second positive acetominophen result for Hill's Science Diet dry food, different varieties.

Again, I cannot stress this point enough: These are independent tests performed on small samples of each food. We do not know if this is an isolated case of contamination before or after manufacturing, or if it is widespread.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find it highly suspicious that there are only two web sites, yours and the one you cite, which make any claims about finding this chemical, and one of them is asking for money.

Unknown said...

This is an excellent example of the difference between journalism and blogging. Journalists investigate and confirm, bloggers rumour-monger and scare each other with anecdotal sob stories and scientifically inaccurate third-hand accounts.

A collection of people saying things like, "I can't prove this food killed my cat, I just know it's true!" is not any sort of reason for this sort of witch-hunt. And just why are so many of your reports targetting a single pet food company? I will not be at all surprised if full investigation reveals some sort of a grudge is involved. Whether you are an instigator, complicit, or just well-meaning but naive remains to be seen.

Kim said...

You might want to keep reading, as there have been much additional news this week about acetaminophen being found in foods by private labs, including articles in major newspapers, like the Pittsburgh-Tribune article I have posted.

The LAB has confirmed "at least 6" different foods tested positive, INCLUDING ONE SENT IN BY A MANUFACTURER. Said manufacturer was notified their food had poison in it over a month ago, and has not yet recalled it.

I stand by my post.

Kim said...

To make it even more clear,from my post: Texas lab finds pain medicine in pet food - Manufactuer Told - FDA Investigating

"The highest level of acetaminophen was found in a dog food sample submitted by a manufacturer, she said. Coneley declined to identify the company but said its officials were given the results "well over a month ago."

Susan said...

I have a 12yo cat, whom I love dearly, who has just been diagnosed with acute renal failure. She also eats Science Diet Sensitive Stomach. I have tried to switch her off the food, but she vomits with anything else. I am interested in having her food tested and have contacted Accutrace by email.

Michael Tomlinson said...

My first Siamese died about six months ago from renal failure. My second has just started getting sick with blood spotting and severe dehydration. She's dying just like the other cat. They've both been eating Hills Science Diet. I'm in Australia, but I checked the bag ... made in the USA. I can't believe I didn't think to check 6 months ago when the first of these scares hit the news..... I'll see what I can get done getting some testing here.

Unknown said...

This is a very well written blog with a great purpose! Very unusual in the blogosphere lately... Recalls like all of these are the reason I switched my pooch to raw dog food

Anonymous said...

Two of my cats and my dog are all sick. The one thing they have in common is Feline Science Diet Sensative Stomach Dry. The dog got into it after knocking it down. They are all exibiting signs of vomiting,diarreha loss of appetite, pancreatitis in the dog. Thousands of dollars later, I suspect the food. I will be looking into getting it tested.Especially since everything else has been ruled out.I also heard its been called Science Death for years.Take a look at the consumers affair website on Science Diet Food.I don't trust any food on the market anymore after all that I have read and learned.

Anonymous said...

I jut lost a cat to a one time feeding of wet food science Diet Hairball remedy that was the last thing she ate. She never ate or drank again. I was so distraught I wrote a report detailing all I ha fed her that day and the ingredients list so when I went to the vet he could add it to the case folder. When I brought her into vet #1 he asked me if I had given my pet Tylenol to my amazement. My cat's now dead eight weeks later. I found this website by happenstance searching online about science diet warnings and now his comment and this page is really freaking me out.

D. NYC

Volunteers Needed! Get food off shelves...

howl911.com, itchmo.com, thepetfoodlist.com, petconnection.com, petfoodtracker.com and spockosbrain.com have joined together to ask for your help.
Update 6-10: Recalled food was purchased from a
California store on 5-29th – this stuff is still out there!
We need Volunteers to help get recalled food off store shelves. Read this post at Spocko’s Brain for instructions. Print a list (or two) on this site. Visit stores, then report safe stores here at Itchmo.com.

Printing Information:
1. Print the main FDA Pet Food Recall page http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/petfood.html – this will be handy to show retailers who haven’t heard anything about the recall. (3 pages)

2. Print the list of 14 Major National Brands - it includes flavors and date information where applicable so you can tell if specific products for these brands have been recalled. The brands are: Alpo Prime Cuts, Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul, Doctors Foster and Smith, Eukanuba, Gravy Train, Hill’s Science Diet, Iams, Jerky Treats, Lick Your Chops, Mighty Dog Pouches, Natural Balance, Nutro, Pounce, Royal Canin. (It’s 7 pages and includes FDA contact information.)

3. Print the List of All Brands – it will remind you what products have been recalled - but it does not give you date and flavor information, there is just too much to put in one document. (7 pages, but the 7th page is links to more detailed information so you don’t need to print it)

If you want, and are going to a store that you know has store brands that have been recalled (such as Walmart), go to that recall information at the links on the summary or at the FDA site and print it out. Some of the information is formatted in ways that make it difficult to read (one of the main reasons for this site), but it’s better than nothing.

Note: The FDA is the official source for all recall information and recalled products. This is an unofficial volunteer effort to help get the word out and get recalled foods off of shelves. We’re doing the best we can but can’t guarantee these lists are completely accurate. Again, here is the official recall site: http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/petfood.html